Yesterday I visited Pitts Theology Library at Emory University. Surely it has the best biblical and theological studies collection in the Southeast U.S., where I’m spending most of my summer.
After I finished my own little research project, I asked one of the reference librarians if I could get a list of the periodicals about Japan there at Pitts Theology Library. I was hoping that the list would include several of the most important periodicals related to biblical studies, theology, and religious studies coming out of Japan. If so, I knew it would be instructive and interesting to others.
The librarian kindly generated a list of 31 periodicals with “Japan” as a keyword somewhere in the record (including place of publication, etc.). Of course, this yielded titles for which Japan is neither the country of origin nor the main focus, but that’s to be expected.
I was disappointed with the results. There are no biblical studies periodicals, and there are only a few that would be likely to carry articles on topics in biblical studies or even theology.
Still, I think it is interesting to learn what periodicals about Japan are available at a university theology library like Emory’s, so here is the list. I have stripped the records of all but the title and publishing institution, and I have added links to publication websites that I could find.
Periodicals with “Japan” as Keyword at Pitts Theology Library
- Asian Christian Review (no affiliated institution)
- SGI Quarterly (Soka Gakkai Office of Information and Public Relations)
- SGI (Nichiren Shoshū International Center) (Later Title: SGI Quarterly)
- The Japan Mission Journal (Oriens Institute for Religious Research)
- The Japan Christian Review (Christian Literature Society of Japan)
- PTCA Bulletin (Programme for Theology and Cultures in Asia)
- Crowned with Thorns (Newsletter of the United Church of Christ in Japan Buraku Liberation Center)
- Zen Buddhism Today (Kyoto Seminar for Religious Philosophy)
- Inter-Religio (A Network of Christian Organizations for Interreligious Encounter in Eastern Asia)
- Image (Asian Christian Art Association; Singapore)
- Rengo, Voice of Renewal (The Federation of Evangelical Churches in the Kyodan)
- Japanese Journal of Religious Studies (International Institute for the Study of Religions)
- Kirisutokyō Shugi Kyōiku Kenkyū-shitsu Nenpō (Kansei Gakuin Daigaku)
- Kyodan Newsletter (United Church of Christ in Japan)
- Nihon Kirisuto Kyōdan Bulletin (United Church of Christ in Japan, Ecumenical Department, Research Institute on the Mission of the Church)
- Contemporary Religions in Japan (International Institute for the Study of Religions) (Later title: Japanese Journal of Religious Studies)
- Acta Asiatica (Bulletin of the Institute of Eastern Culture, Tōhō Gakkai)
- The Japan Missionary Bulletin (Oriens Institute for Religious Research)
- Japanese Religions (NCC Center for the Study of Japanese Religions)
- Tenri Journal of Religion (Tenri University Press)
- Japan Christian Activity News (National Christian Council of Japan)
- Young East (Young East Association)
- Japan Harvest (Japan Evangelical Missionary Association)
- Ryukoku Daigaku Ronshu (Ryukoku Gakkai)
- K.B.S. Quarterly (Kokusai Bunka Shinkokai)
- The Japan Christian Quarterly (Christian Literature Society)
- Kirisutokyō Kenkyū (Kirisutokyō Kenkyūkai)
- Seicho-No-Ie (Seicho-No-Ie, Tokyo, Japan)
- KBS Bulletin (Kokusai Bunka Shinkōkai)
- Bulletin of the Nanzan Institute for Religion & Culture (Nanzan University)